Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Home Forums Student forums Luke Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Luke Mysliwy
Participant

As a follow up to this review I thought I’d pose some questions to you all.

This was a fine exhibition, which cost $12 entry. I guess Art Gallery’s and Museums have a bit of a different strategy and mission when it comes to their exhibits (one might also call them attractions) than do Libraries. For one thing you generally can’t take something home from an art gallery or museum (unless you purchased it at the gift shop) At a public library it can usually be assumed that most of the programming and services are free, but certain libraries are off limits to general members of the public. For instance I can’t just waltz into the Milton State School library and borrow a book. I’m not sure where I’m going with this. Here are some questions to ponder.

WHY should things be free?

WHEN should things be free?

Is a greater value assigned to things that are NOT free? (or, are things that are not free perceived to have a greater value?)

WHEN do you decide to start charging? why are SOME exhibits free and others not? And if most museums are funded by government organisations and sponsorship, then is the nominal fee for entry just a token one?

Is it ever appropriate for a Library to charge admission for a certain service or program?

Should libraries even charge administrative fees?