Reply To: Week 3 | Service Review | Reflecting on a Reference Service experience

Home Forums Student forums Peldon Week 3 | Service Review | Reflecting on a Reference Service experience Reply To: Week 3 | Service Review | Reflecting on a Reference Service experience

Hi Peldon, I liked your reflection and found your experience of using the QUT Library interesting. Like you, I also have used the librarians as a sort of ‘jack of all trades’ service – asking questions about a wide range of topics. I thought the Laura Saunders article was a practical response to what happens in libraries every day with users like you and I. I had no idea I was accessing a “reference service” until this course spelled that out for me. Because we now have a greater understanding of the way in which the library works, do you think we’ll use the library differently or approach questions in a more considered way? I’m not sure. I think three will always be times when you need help but it’s dificult to articulate what it is that you need. It’s great to know that the reference service will be flexible enough to help in those situations. I agree with your conclusion about the hybrid service being best – that chat service is great for short and specific questions but when you have a more complex or difficult question the face-to-face interview is much more helpful.