Week 9 – Making and Makerspaces – Twitter chat reflection .

Home Forums Student forums Hanan Week 9 – Making and Makerspaces – Twitter chat reflection .

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      hanan albishri
      Participant

The twitter chat session lasted for a little over an hour and was very interesting, this report summed up what I learnt during the course of the chat session.

From my personal view of Education makerspace after the session, I think education makerspace is a learning approach that is very similar to problem based learning; it involves students studying together in an environment where they can learn and teach one another. This concept is important as it helps students to develop new ideas and solve challenges. As discussed during the chat, the tutors in this approach develops concepts and projects to be solved by the student. Education makerspace can make the study of library science more interesting by combining fun with critical thinking and most importantly, learning. I also understand through inputs from other students that Makerspace education approach respect individual learning abilities and provide unique method for individual to solve general problem. This approach through critical thinking and sharing ideas will make it easier to understand the concepts, scope and every detail about library. This approach tends to develop creativity. From my understanding of creativity after the session, I belief creativity is one major battle human race have been silently battling individually since the advent of civilization with very few overcoming the problem. Creativity makes life fulfilling and interesting, creativity brings out originality in man. I also belief school is reducing creativity as it teaches a particular method to solve challenges and inability to utilize this method taught often lead to sad life. We often translate creativity as creating or developing things that are formally not in existence, whereas, creativity means growth and this define the challenges facing most people and organizations that lack creativity, they are increasing in age but not growing. When an individual is creative, the person feels “alive” and sees every challenge as a way to achieve something new. Margaret Mead said in her quote “Children must be taught how to think and not what to think”. Through the years GLAM has been championing creativity through projecting creative works and so much more. I also learnt during the session that 3D printer is still very modern and that not so many people know about it, there is also a general perception that utilizing this technology requires expert input which isn’t totally true. I think library should support tech-cantered production but right and supportive environment should remain the backbone when utilizing this approach. No matter how complicated or formidable tools are, the objective of this approach can’t be fulfilled without the right approach.

Creativity is very important to me as a person as it brings out the originality in me and makes me grow. With a creative mind, it’s also easier to solve challenges. I belief creativity is important personally and professionally even though there is a little way to display creativity professionally at work since most organizations have laid down procedures to follow , in their effort to ensure work place best practises. I am a very creative person and I display creativity and originality in everything I do.

Ruth McConchie
      Participant

Thanks Hanan, I really enjoyed your post. I think you made a really good point about the difficulties displaying creativity in a professional environment governed by procedures. I would also argue that when the opportunities for creativity arise, they are also governed by procedures which isn’t really conducive to creativity and compounds the problem. As you pointed out and we explored in the Twitter Chat, creativity is fundamental to progress on a personal and societal level. Hopefully the culture of creativity and collaboration evident in makerspaces plays a greater part in future library environments.

Kate McKelliget
      Participant

Hi Hanan. Thanks for your great post. It is clear that you are very passionate about this topic! I really enjoyed reading your tweets throughout the twitter chat because they were filled with this passion. I imagine you would have enjoyed the TED talk YouTube videos concerning creativity as I did. It is upsetting that so many people see themselves as ‘not the creative type’ or ‘science and maths orientated’ rather than ‘arts orientated’. Many people fail to see the creativity that is required and used everyday by them, whether in a chemistry lab, an art studio or an office job. In this way, I really agree with the following statement you provided

We often translate creativity as creating or developing things that are formally not in existence, whereas, creativity means growth

This twitter chat really helped me to open my eyes to this fact.

Last year I went to Comic-Con in Brisbane and I attended a seminar where Orlando Bloom was answering the audience’s questions. I can’t even remember what the question was but Orlando discussed that no matter how ordinary one’s life seems, it can be made much more fulfilling by simply leading a creative life (whether you are an actor or work behind a register at the super market). So, there’s me referencing Hollywood stars instead of academic literature but I thought it was fitting and a bit of fun!

Shannon Franzway
      Participant

Great point, Hanan about education makerspaces combining fun and critical thinking, which in turn inspires a love of learning.  I think this is particularly true with children – schools and teachers face a lot of pressure to ensure the curriculum is covered and the methods to achieve this may not be the most conducive environment for creative/critical thinking.  Time spent thinking and problem solving in a less structured environment than a classroom is important to develop the next generation of creative and critical thinkers.  Thanks for a thought provoking post!

hanan albishri
      Participant

Thanks Ruth, Kate and Shannon for your comments really appreciated.

I think creativity is an endless sea, creativity is something that many look beyond and don’t even think of as something of importance in the world of business, or in the nature of the success you build for yourself. Creativity is one of the greatest qualities any of us can be blessed with, yet many never allow their true creativity to be expressed.

Saurav Khadka
      Participant

Hey Hanan, it was really informative post. I also agree that people sometimes are bound by the pre-defined procedures even if they are creative, they will not get chance to show it. Creativity is anything that brings change, change in lifestyle, change in work environment, change in everything comes with creativity! Like you said creativity is not always creating new thing that does not exist in present world, it’s also about learning and applying things in life practically. And the maker space is providing that opportunity to people. They can actually learn new things, create and understand new things and apply them in their life!

Will Wood
      Participant

Hi Hanan,

I really enjoyed your reflection on the twitter chat and agree with many of the conclusions you reached regarding creativity and its importance in modern life. There was one point you made that really resonated with me and that was the idea that the way schools focus on standardised methods and solutions can really limit creativity and ‘outside the box’ thinking in current educational practice. Creativity and exploration have helped develop some of the most important innovations in recent history such as modern computing. I think there should be more of a focus placed on abstract solutions and the practical application of creative method in schools which is why I was so glad to hear that coding will be introduced to younger grades in the coming years. While coding can be seen as just another rigid methodology I feel that its applications are many and varied and inspire people to think creatively in order to achieve the outcomes they want from it.

Paola Beretta
      Participant

Hi Hanan

Week 9’s twitter chat was very interesting and I think a lot of students got really involved with the topic. I like how you combined the importance of contemporary collaborative learning approaches and creativity. In my view they are both empowering avenues to craft solutions to our world’s complex problems. A very inspiring post, thank you for sharing!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Paola Beretta.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.