week 9, making and makerspace, issue based reflection

Home Forums Student forums Saurav week 9, making and makerspace, issue based reflection

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Saurav Khadka
      Participant

Makerspace is new concept that is getting popular in public libraries around the globe. According to Slatter, Diane, et al. (2013), “Content-creation spaces, or ‘makerspaces’, are an emerging phenomenon in public libraries worldwide.” Being a new concept it has lots of benefits, for instance, it has been able to connect people in community which traditional library was not able to do. However, it has some issues or challenges that makerspace has been facing. I will here provide issue based reflection on maker and makerspace.

As described by Caitlin Bagley, makerspace refers to a space that has been designed to allow user to create, build, and learn new projects and technologies. Thus, markerspace should be able to provide programs or makers that will help people who may not have new technologies available for them to use, so that they can use it, feel it and learn it. The State Government of Victoria said, “Those without access will expect the public library to be their point of access for new and emerging technologies.” However, the issues here is sometimes people are not tech-savvy. They need to learn to use technology from scratch to be able to understand and use new one. Whatever knowledge people have, or how good or bad they are in terms of technology, I think it’s the responsibility of librarian to look after them, to give them what they wish to get.

Sometimes financial issue can be seen in makerspace, according to Slatter, Diane, et al (2013), “Another challenge discussed by all three participants was budgetary constraints. While some funds were relatively simple for participants to procure, the changing nature of the technology and high cost of importing these items to Australia proved challenging.” As library or makerspace is about teaching and imparting knowledge to others, use of whatever products is not acceptable. We should use proper and valid tools and equipment. For financial hardship issues a good strategy needs to be developed.  Forging partnership would be a good solution to solve this issue. Furthermore, focusing on what community members have interest in, if we could develop programs and products as such, it will be much beneficial, suitable and worthy.

Lastly, here in this post I tried to discuss a couple of issues that makerspace could face and few possible solutions to their problem. Despite of these, there could be heaps of other issues, their consequences and remedies. Please comment on this post with more issues and possibly the solutions if you encounter some.

Cheers!

Deborah Fuller
      Participant

A thoughtful and good summary of makerspaces, Saurav, a recent concept but one that as in reality been around for years but is gaining in popularity globally. I think it is the way forward as a society particularly upcycling of the old in order to make us more sustainable.

Saurav Khadka
        Participant

Thank you Deborah, makerspace is way good idea of intensifying people’s knowledge and yeah, just as you said it will definitely makes us more sustainable 🙂

Katherine Lee
      Participant

Really thoughtful post Saurav. I thought you dealt with the issues related to setting up makerspaces really well. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the hype of trying new programs, but sometimes these may not be suited to the library in economic and other terms.

Saurav Khadka
        Participant

Thank you Katherine for a wonderful comment, there always are hurdles in between path to success, nevertheless, we can always look forward to other available alternatives and work it out with them 🙂

Ruth McConchie
      Participant

Thanks for a really informative post Saurav. I agree that budgetary concerns do limit what technologies libraries can provide to their users, but at the same time as you started to draw out, there are different ways libraries can still provide access to these technologies. For many users, I think just a talk or presentation about for example 3D printers or Arduino would heplful. I think gaining a basic understanding of the design logics and strategies used in these technologies would also be very helpful to library users.

Saurav Khadka
        Participant

Exactly Ruth, even if they cant access such technology, at least having knowledge of what we have in present world will not make them feel like a “left-behind” people in front of others 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.