Week 12 – Children and teens – Argue a point of view

Home Forums Student forums Chris B Week 12 – Children and teens – Argue a point of view

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Christopher Brander
      Participant

This week I am choosing the “Argue a point of view” activity and responding to the prompt “Quiet in the library! Parents should keep their kids under control in the library because libraries should be quite spaces.”

For all of the prompts this week I could see arguments for and against and this one is no different. I can’t give a clear yes or no response – rather my suggestion is to have separate spaces in the library to suit the needs of all users.

In a way, this topic comes down to respecting the needs of all users. If we are constantly telling kids to be quiet and telling them off for their behaviour then they will likely start to feel unwelcome and unvalued. In fact, there is some research that suggests that feeling unwelcomed is precisely why many younger people avoid libraries (Agosto & Hughes-Hassell, 2010). As Dalgetty (2012) points out, libraries should serve the needs of everyone and this should include children and teens. Personally I think it is particularly important to make younger people feel at home in the library because this can help them build habits for lifelong learning. Also, in their study, Agosto and Hughes-Hassell (2010) found that for many people the library is a place for social interaction and community building and thus enforcing strict rules around noise reduces a library’s ability to serve in this role.

On the other hand, libraries also need to respect the needs of adult users and if they are being distracted by noisy kids then this is also a concern. For a lot of adults and younger people too, quiet is needed to complete a range of tasks such as reading or researching and many expect the library to be a quiet place.

My solution then is to divide the library up into different sections. In certain areas of the library there would be rules about keeping noise to a minimum. However, there should also be designated children’s sections (ideally separated by glass or something that will keep the noise out) where the children’s books are kept and where children are allowed to make some noise. This is similar to the concept of “Homework centers” that Peck (2014) suggests so that children and young teens can have areas where they feel at home. Agosto and Hughes-Hassel (2010) found that a children’s section might not suit or might even put off older children and teens, so if space permits there could be a separate section for older children and teens that also allows noise. If teens or children require quiet then they would be allowed to go to the adult areas as long as they are quiet.

Another option would be to have certain times of day where different noise levels are acceptable. For instance, after school, say 3pm-5pm, is likely to be a popular time for school aged children and perhaps noise restrictions could be removed during these times. That way, if there are adults who need to use the library and require quiet they know to come to the library at a different time of day. Whatever the decision, there should be clearly signed rules around noise levels so that everyone is aware of them. As Peck (2014) mentions, having clearly signed rules ensures that no one will feel discriminated against.

Luke Mysliwy
      Participant

Hi Chris I think the division of library into “quiet” and “non-quiet” spaces is an ideal solution, unfortunately some libraries may not have the infrastructure to do so. My childhood public library in Toowoomba had and entire floor devoted to the childrens/YA area. I don’t remember it being particularly noisy ever but it would have definitely limited noise which filtered down to the ground floor adult section. There is definitely a trend (in Brisbane public libraries at least) for a more open plan, ‘community hub’ feels to them. In fact i think a few brisbane libraries could almost be refered to as a community living room, with comfortable places to sit, a tv, childrens play areas, x-boxes, books, magazines and a constant hum of conversation. But the noise from children is an issue, and i think a dedicated childrens area that is has some kind of sound buffer, or indeed an entirely seperate childrens library would offer the best solution. whether it is actually doable budget/infrastructure wise is another story.

Christopher Brander
        Participant

Thanks Luke. You raise a great point about whether a library has the funding or space to provide separate sections. Understandably this might not be possible in smaller libraries so they would have to find another solution.

Stacey Larner

I remember when Kenmore library opened there was a letter to the editor from an irate woman complaining about the shrieking children. Kenmore is a small library with a little corner for a children’s area, which always kills me because kids (mine anyway) love to run off into the adult sections. It’s incredibly stressful as a parent to have a noisy kid and be trying to get them to stop because you don’t want them to disturb other people, but you also actually can’t make a young kid stop being noisy in any way that is legal or kind! So yes, I agree, separate areas would be ideal and would actually meet the needs of patrons in a far better way than open plan. Open plan is fine for patrons who are able to moderate their volume, but it’s even tricky for people who want to meet up to do group work and not loudly at that.

That said, I do love Mount Ommaney’s refurbished library, and noise from kids doesn’t bother me that much because if it’s not my kid I tune out ;).

Christopher Brander
        Participant

I can only imagine how stressful it must be for parents to try and keep their kids quiet in a library. Kids are not meant to be quiet! That’s why I think having a separate section for kids is better for everyone, including reducing the stress levels of parents.

Jennifer Cotton
      Participant

It is a difficult subject. Like Stacey’s children, I loved running through the adult sections when I was a child. Looking back, I think I spent more time in the adult sections than the children’s. I think the designated spaces are a wonderful idea but some libraries may not have the space to do so. It is not just children making the noise, my local library has “Learn to use an iPad” sessions, in this situation the lecturer has to speak loud enough for the group to hear but be mindful of not being too loud to bother other users.

As you said, there is no ‘yes or no’ solution but I think regular library users learn to avoid peak time for children. For example, when I was swimming laps I learnt when the Aqua Aerobics classes where on because it was remarkably difficult to swim laps during those times. Likewise, regular library users might learn to avoid the library during Storytime and after school.  Libraries need to cater for the young and old, and I think most people can accept that.

Christopher Brander
        Participant

That’s an interesting point Jenny – it’s not only kids who make noise but groups as well. That is related to my idea of having different rules about noise at different hours of the day. Although it seems like your point is that people can self-manage this without needing rules ie if you know there are going to be group classes or kids around then you avoid going to the library at those times.

Ruth McConchie
      Participant

Thanks for your post Chris, I agree with Luke that is seems like quiet and non-quiet sections are best. I would also argue that the Young Adults section shouldn’t be next to the kids section, especially if there are teenagers coming to the library to do homework. When I used to study at the Indooroopilly Library after high school, I always had to wear headphones to block out the noise of kids being kids. I think that often the YA gets put next to the children’s section, but I wonder whether that really after a careful analysis of the YA needs?

Christopher Brander
        Participant

Thanks Ruth. I agree that Young Adults sections should be separate to kids sections. If they are right next to each other then the noise might also be distracting for Young Adults. Older teenagers probably don’t want to be seen as kids any more so having more physical distance between the spaces might also help them differentiate themselves from kids.

Peldon P
      Participant

Hi Chris, you have addressed the issue very well by considering both aspects of ‘Library as a quiet place’ and ‘library as a place for people to socialize’.

Shannon Franzway
      Participant

Interestingly, a Facebook group that I belong to recently debated the quiet/non-quiet library.  The library in question has a pretty awesome children’s area that includes a small slide and childsized padded “holes” in the shelving so children can climb through into the next aisle.  It can get pretty noisy in there at times but, the entire children’s section is separate from the rest of the library, almost a separate wing, but there’s no actual dividing wall so the noise probably does carry.  There were comments on the Facebook feed to the effect that the slide and holes in the shelves were inappropriate and unnecessary – I found the level of dissatisfaction expressed quite interesting.  I tend to agree with Stacey – if it’s not my kid, I don’t hear a thing 🙂

Christopher Brander
        Participant

The “kids should be quiet in the library” debate seems quite polarising. I can see how people who have traditional views of what a library should be would be very unhappy about the noise levels and I can understand this. But I think it’s also really important to get kids interested in the library from a young age and kids are going to be noisy. I can’t think of a way to make kids quiet so that’s why I reckon having separate sections is the best solution.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.