Reply To: Week 13 Trends Reflection: Pop Culture and Resurgence of the Zine

Home Forums Student forums Samantha Week 13 Trends Reflection: Pop Culture and Resurgence of the Zine Reply To: Week 13 Trends Reflection: Pop Culture and Resurgence of the Zine

Hi Samantha, I really enjoyed your reflection. I didn’t really understand properly what zines were before this week, except in a vague way. Now I know I’ve seen, touched and read them without knowing there was a word. I’ve been interested in the discussion on zines when people talk about “touching” and their “tactile” nature. I think that’s similar to physical books – a lot of people talk about wanting to hold books, turn pages and breathe in their smell,  in contrast to the kindle etc experience. Obviously when zines are hand-made that increases the intensity of the experience. And wow! a note from the author – that’s special. I saw recently that you can buy “empty” bottles and scented candles that are said to hold the perfume of books. How weird are our lives becoming that a bottle of air that may (or may not!) smell, oh so briefly, of a perfume that may once have been commonplace but is now endangered? You’re absolutely right, that as our lives become more digital, we need libraries to preserve zines that speak of experiences that may never come again, that were of their time and place. They speak in a number of ways, not just by reading their content on a screen.