Reply To: Issues Reflection: Zines and artist's books

Home Forums Student forums Ruth Issues Reflection: Zines and artist's books Reply To: Issues Reflection: Zines and artist's books

Hi Ruth, I was reminded strongly when I was reading your reflection of my time as a lawyer with the ABC. It was at the time when they were looking at releasing some old Countdown clips for the first time on DVD/CD – OK everyone in this class is way too young to remember Countdown so you’re just going to have to believe me, it was once a huge ABC hit! Anyway, I was given the happy task of thinking about how the copyrights and performers’ rights for this ancient show could possibly be cleared. So many beloved songs, so many beloved performances, so many sequins! So many old rockers to try and track down, that’s if they were still alive 🙂 As it turned out, it was possible, but not for years after I had left the ABC to go and live in Paradise.

I guess my point is that it takes people who care enough about this stuff to find the way to preserve it and your point about collections being lost or forgotten when their champion leaves is well made. I discovered that a lot of Countdown material had been recorded over because the ABC was short on video stock. Just about broke my heart, but we saved a load too. I’m sure my contribution has long been forgotten but it always makes me smile when I hear those old songs 🙂 So let’s jump in and record and save those zines! Copyright will catch up one day.