Reply To: Week 7: Twitter Champion – Digital and Information literacy!

Home Forums Student forums Caitlin Week 7: Twitter Champion – Digital and Information literacy! Reply To: Week 7: Twitter Champion – Digital and Information literacy!

Tracey Allen
Participant

Hey Caitlin,

I enjoyed your post and it has given me some tips for when I undertake the Twitter Chat Champion task in a few weeks time.  I too only started using Twitter at the start of the semester and have since discovered that you can private message someone after my tweets to Optus Help were appearing on the feeds of my followers.  It has definitely opened my eyes to a whole other world.  I also discovered that ‘favourite-ing’ is similar to ‘liking’ a post on Facebook.  The topic is a good one and something that I feel passionate about.  Living in a lower-socioeconomic area, I see how “left behind” some people are because of the lack of finances and education they have.  For instance the local high school is trying to implement a BYOD plan, however parents are refusing to pay for devices.  The school is also refusing to allow the librarian to run study skills lessons as it would take away time from curriculum subjects.  Whereas, schools in high socioeconomic areas have all students with at least one device and they’re librarians are able to run many programs.  The “digital divide” is very much evident in Queensland schools.