Reply To: Week 5: Trends Reflection: The Changing Nature of Readers Advisory

Home Forums Student forums Caitlin Week 5: Trends Reflection: The Changing Nature of Readers Advisory Reply To: Week 5: Trends Reflection: The Changing Nature of Readers Advisory

Georgia Pardey
Participant

Hi Caitlin,

Your final comments on the future of RA reminded me of a reading in the IFN615 course from a book by Patricia Franks. She refers to records management as she says we have adapted ‘systems of record’ into ‘systems of engagement’. I think we can apply that same thinking to the evolution of Readers’ Advisory, as you point out, from static readings lists to an interactive cloud display (just two examples).

There is something very appealing about the accessibility and collaborative nature of websites like Good Reads and Shelfari. Other social media sites that are not exclusive to readers have some good sections too, like this mini RA chart I found on Pinterest in my first search.

A lot of these ideas tie in with our week six topic of Web 2.0, or Library 2.0. You can easily relate Tim O’Reilly’s seven principles to modern RA and social reading sites. For example, we can use the web as a platform, user contribution means we can harness collective intelligence, and the result is a rich user experience.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Thanks!