Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Home Forums Student forums Chris B Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Stacey Larner

Haha another one who had no idea of the scope of Readers Advisory. As a fiction writer (and genre, no less–shock horror!) I always get a bit antsy by the argument that reading fiction is lesser than reading non-fiction. I grew up on fantasy and books like Watership Down and they definitely helped me develop empathy for the POV of others, and also raised a lot of interesting questions about the world that I wouldn’t have been exposed to otherwise. There is a place for both non-fiction (including narrative non-fic) and fiction and I love that RA helps readers to find books they might like to read but wouldn’t otherwise know about. I do think your idea about suggesting non-fic titles about topics people seem interested in in a fiction setting is a great idea.