Reply To: Trends Reflection: Reference and information literacy instruction

Home Forums Student forums Bronwyn Trends Reflection: Reference and information literacy instruction Reply To: Trends Reflection: Reference and information literacy instruction

Leena Riethmuller
Participant

Thank you for your trends reflection on information literacy an academic libraries, Bronwyn. It’s so important to understand historical contexts in order to get a better idea of why people think what they do today. I have encountered many a person who thinks being a librarian is about contacting books and shooshing people. I correct them, of course!

I am constantly amazed by the way libraries continue to adapt and reshape alongside technology. The role of reference librarians in particular interests me because I think they are the guide between the information and the information seeker. As you explained, there is so much about what they do that Google can’t. I think part of the reason old fashioned perceptions of librarians and libraries exist is because people may not be aware how much information actually exists. It makes sense that as there is a growing  amount of information available, it is very important to have information experts around to search it. Anyone can find information, but not everyone can find the best, most accurate and most helpful information.

You mentioned that there is some contention about who should be responsible for teaching Information Literacy. Do you have an opinion on whether it should be taught or embedded in the content, or something else?