Reply To: Week 3: Argue a Point – "Reference" should include information literacy skills?

Home Forums Student forums Robynne Week 3: Argue a Point – "Reference" should include information literacy skills? Reply To: Week 3: Argue a Point – "Reference" should include information literacy skills?

Caitlin .
Participant

Hi Robynne,

I enjoyed you post and am definitely in agreement although I am not so sure the two ideas of reference services and the provision of skills to facilitate information literacy are as separate as some suggest I took both Verdesca and Verma’s articles as suggesting the facilitating of information literacy was a key component of reference services. While face to face tutorials can help to provide such services I don’t believe they would always need to be limited to such delivery and could utilise modern technology to conduct online classes similar to discussions in this very unit. While another demand on the time of reference librarians the provision of such skills helps to give reference services continued relevance as now more than ever we need to be smart in the way we navigate the amounts of information we are bombarded with.

Caitlin