Twitter chat champion – readers' advisory services

Home Forums Student forums Sarah Twitter chat champion – readers' advisory services

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sarah Ross
      Participant

TWITTER CHAT CHAMPION FOR READERS’ ADVISORY – WEEK 5

It has always surprised me when I put a hold on a new book through Brisbane City Council (BCC) Library Services that it takes such a long time to get to me, even though it appears to be ready to go.  I now suspect (and hope) that this is because a librarian is reading it in order to provide them with knowledge for readers’ advisory services.

Discussing the topic of readers’ advisory (RA) on Twitter chat #ifn614readchat was a positive experience:  the questions were outlined in advance which helped to focus the discussion and were designed to elicit short tweets.  This made it easier to contribute and follow.

I am focussing on question 1 which asked why RA services are important.  A survey in America found that RA services are important to public libraries and have a firm place in the future because RA services are mission critical to libraries.  The Twitter chat answers to Q1 were varied but two main areas were of interest to me.

First, @MysliwyL made the point that RA services “value add to library” and @rae_kers pointed out that RA services also aids communication between librarians and users which @MysliwyL neatly summed up as “promotes value of staff”.  This illustrates a lot of the points in the video, “I need a book! A guide to readers advisory.” in which the various methods that library staff can engage with patrons is explored.  I did not think I had ever knowingly used an official RA service such as those described by Lissa Staley but upon reflection I do look at book displays, “recommendation by staff” shelves, returned books and online resources both within BCC’s library website and outside sources such as physical bookshops’ websites (e.g. QBD).  I now realise I should perhaps also ask a librarian.
      BCC Library Bookmark
      Second,  @rae_kers made the useful point that there seemed to be a difference of opinion – do RA services help people get more of the same (e.g. same author, similar genre, etc) or do they help in finding something completely new.  I think that RA services can do both and the video made a very good illustration of this with the use of narrative non-fiction.  If a person likes reading Wild West fiction, a history of the Wild West may also be of interest to them.

The other three questions threw up a similar range of discussions and were just as informative. We even touched again on the wonderful Mills and Boon.

What stood out to me in this Twitter chat (and the previous one) was the fierce independence of those participating (for example, in terms of recommendations – @jobeaz and @MysliwyL).  The format of Twitter chat is bewildering at first but it allows for multiple voices to be heard and be considered.  Maybe as librarians (or budding librarian in my case) we want to answer the questions rather than ask them.  I wonder if using RA services to the full in my local library would inform my own studies.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Sarah Ross.
      • This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Sarah Ross.
      • This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Sarah Ross. Reason: Cleaning up post format
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      hanan albishri
      Participant

This is awesome review of the discussion, Great post, thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.