Topic for assignment 2/3

Home Forums Assignment 2 Topic for assignment 2/3

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Luke Mysliwy
      Participant

Hi Kate,

our group have had our first meeting and are eager to get started on the assignment. After discussing a number of options we finally settled on a topical issue. The Mayor of Western Downs Regional council recently announced that his area would accept 1500 Syrian refugees. We felt a programme providing ESL classes to prepare these new arrivals for life in Australia would be vital part of helping refugees to resettle in Australia, with a focus on adults or over normal age of schooling.

We think this program would fall within the scope of a library but are concerned that it might be too big for this assignment? (not sure if I’m explaining myself very well).

Our plan B is focusing  on the same region, and the same issue, but from the flip side. The recent announcement has been met with a fair bit of opposition from the community itself. Assuming that the plan for re-settlement of refugees goes ahead, such an influx of a different culture will make quite an impact on such comparatively small communities as those on the Western Downs (Dalby, Chinchilla, Miles). Our other proposal would be for public libraries to run a community education programme to help residents understand the culture and needs of those people they would be living alongside, to foster understanding and community cohesian.

Just hoping for some guidance as to whether these would be acceptable ideas to pitch for the assignment or should we aim for something smaller?

Cheers,

Luke.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Luke Mysliwy.
      Luke Mysliwy
      Participant

To explain myself a little better, I think we were all quite keen on plan A (i.e. the assisting with the english literacy needs of resettling syrian refugees), but were concerned that there may be a lot of unknowns to do a sufficient user needs analysis on this group. Then again, I imagine agencies that have to cope with this kind of situation would have to go into it with a lot of unknowns, the important thing is to at least have some facilities set up to help people in a crisis situation, would that be right?

Kate Davis
      Keymaster

I’ve responded via email, but just for anyone else who might happen on this thread, just to confirm I think a program for refugees is a great idea.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Topic for assignment 2/3’ is closed to new replies.