Don't Call Me Ishmael

Home Forums Introductions Don't Call Me Ishmael

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Georgia Pardey
      Participant

Hi, my name is Georgia and this is my first semester of MIS. I completed a BA in history in 2013 and would love to work in any sort of history or humanities library. I focused on modern history (20th century) and am particularly interested in gender and sexuality. In the meantime, I am a sales assistant for a music store.

I love reading, generally fiction, but am a slow reader. A great superpower to have would be to instantly absorb the information contained in a book simply by touching it. Even better if you have an incredible memory and can remember every book you touch. You could learn all about a particular disease by reading every piece of literature on the subject and perhaps see a cure that no one else had realised because they didn’t have access to all of that information (or couldn’t understand every language it was written in). I already have a fairly good memory for connecting book titles and authors, so I will say that is a power I have. My friends certainly identify me as an avid reader, even if I feel I don’t have nearly enough time for it.

I would be interested to hear what some favourite books/authors are of the students in this course.

Christopher Brander
      Participant

Absorbing information would be a cool super power. That kind of reminds me of the concept in the movie “The Matrix” where you can just download any knowledge into your head – it would save a lot of time!

Stephanie Venturato
      Participant

I can’t resist book recommendations, its my thaaaannngggg. So I’m reading the strays by emily bitto at the moment, such a great atmosphere, its vaguely based on the Heide circle but really its a fictional modernist art scene from the perspective of a child who was present.  Karen Joy Fowler is a recent favorite of mine and Helen Garner forever and ever, I really could go and on. I agree that would be a awesome super power, information overload would never be a problem because you would have unlimited storage and a immediate understanding of what you’re absorbing, sigh.

Georgia Pardey
      Participant

I haven’t heard of the Heide Circle or The Strays, but I will definitely read it. Sounds like a very interesting story, in reality and in print. I actually picked up Monkey Grip and We Are Completely Beside Ourselves recently so I’ll have to bump them up my reading list now that you’ve recommended them! Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

Saurav Khadka
      Participant

Hahaha, yeah Christopher, that’s so cool idea, also during the final exams, load a unit in mind, and get 7

Stacey Larner

Hi Ishmael! I mean Georgia! 😉

I’m neck deep in the Aussie speculative fiction scene, do you read any spec fic or mostly general/literary?

Georgia Pardey
        Participant

I haven’t read a whole lot of Australian fiction, though I’m definitely into speculative fiction (I hadn’t heard the term before). I read a handful of dystopian novels recently and it’s interesting comparing the different visions of our collective future.

Stacey Larner

Awww it always makes me sad that so many people don’t read Australian fiction. We have such a strong spec fic contingent, but it’s always overseas authors that get read.

Kate Davis
      Keymaster

Welcome Georgia!

If you use GoodReads, you’re welcome to follow me! I’ve read so little in the last two years (I probably haven’t read an entire novel in two years) courtesy PhD and crazy work schedule but I’m trying to push myself to get back into reading. Hoping to shame myself into it by extending my network on GoodReads 😉

Hi Georgia, I’d love that super power too! When you figure out how to do it can you post or tweet it ASAP???? 😉

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.