Culture and Pop Culture: Twitter Chat Champ

Home Forums Student forums Natalie Culture and Pop Culture: Twitter Chat Champ

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Natalie Anderson
      Participant

Zines, an interesting medium that people use to engage in their interests and passions. I perceive it as a going back to basics, which allows authors, artists, activists, and an outlet to distribute, share, and engage their niche community. It also allows for an escape of the glaring gaze of big brother online. Indeed, perhaps it is no coincidence that people have turned towards to this medium, as society become more aware of how much of our existence can be traced.

Zines, have been around for a very long time, in the loosest form. Historically, I would relate them to fringe groups, people politically and socially on the outer. This article discusses a timeline of Zines and how the reasons they’ve been used.

A Twitter Chat question asked about the authority of Zines. I think about this in a couple of ways: Is the author a well-known researcher? Yet, why does that person have to be that to be an authority? A mother may like to write about her experiences during pregnancy and birth, and a reader may be wanting to read her point of view, rather than a scientific, medical p.o.v.

This article discussed how popular Zines have become. A library in Melbourne receives a large amount of items, 20 to 25 new titles each week. This could be perceived positively, however, it could also become hard to manage. The article also discussed how future scholars will perceive the texts. How amazing would it have been to have read abundant personal accounts of people from the past. Historians of the future will have a huge array of information for research.

In terms of ‘Cultural Programming’ , the reading, Making the case for Cultural Programming, the authors defined it as a series of programs in libraries conducted to enlighten, educate,and entertain. it goes on to mentions adults and families and various disciplines. So Cultural programming is basically quite broad and open, and it will depend on each attendee whether or not they feel enriched by the experience. They word ‘culture’ can connote an elitist image of only the upper class enjoying rare perks. Hhowever, today’s GLAM perceive the needs of the many and are open to try all experiences and services, as long as the users see value. And as Ruth said in Twitter chat, ” I think there is lots of crossover between GLAMs, I think everything will evolve to user needs #ifn614culturechat.” Yes, long gone are the days where visitors met the needs and rules of the GLAMs .

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.