Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Home Forums Student forums Luke Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Paola Beretta
Participant

Great post Luke! I really enjoyed your perspective and the great discussion it promoted. I hadn’t read your post until after I published mine on the same exhibition. I think that was good, as we both approached the exhibition from different angles. Yes, the cost of exhibitions and how that is passed onto visitors would probably provide enough material for a whole unit. As Ruth commented, the hidden costs can be very high and insurance in particular.

Ah, Katherine, you touched on a topic that really interests me. I think that a lot of curators, unfortunately, have a very elitist stance when it comes to developing exhibitions. A lot of assumed knowledge and a kind of ‘disregard’ for the viewer as a learner/discoverer can be read ‘in between the lines’ in many exhibitions.