Reply To: Week 12. Issues based reflection: censorship of children's library choices.

Home Forums Student forums Debbie Week 12. Issues based reflection: censorship of children's library choices. Reply To: Week 12. Issues based reflection: censorship of children's library choices.

Katherine Lee
Participant

Great post, Debbie. It is such a difficult issue to deal with. I liked your conclusion that it is the role of the parent, not the librarian to monitor what a child is reading. Although I sometimes feel that children are best able to decide whether a book is right for them. I think children are quite good a self-censoring and tend not to engage with certain subjects unless they are ready to deal with them. Some children’s maturity levels might be higher than others and they might be ready to read books that deal with more adult themes. In those cases I feel those children have a right to make an informed decision to read books that engage with those subjects as long as they feel comfortable.  Having said that, I do believe that some care needs to be taken by librarians and parents to make sure that there is some obvious differentiation between children, YA and adult sections.