Reply To: Week 12 – Children and teens – Argue a point of view

Home Forums Student forums Chris B Week 12 – Children and teens – Argue a point of view Reply To: Week 12 – Children and teens – Argue a point of view

Luke Mysliwy
Participant

Hi Chris I think the division of library into “quiet” and “non-quiet” spaces is an ideal solution, unfortunately some libraries may not have the infrastructure to do so. My childhood public library in Toowoomba had and entire floor devoted to the childrens/YA area. I don’t remember it being particularly noisy ever but it would have definitely limited noise which filtered down to the ground floor adult section. There is definitely a trend (in Brisbane public libraries at least) for a more open plan, ‘community hub’ feels to them. In fact i think a few brisbane libraries could almost be refered to as a community living room, with comfortable places to sit, a tv, childrens play areas, x-boxes, books, magazines and a constant hum of conversation. But the noise from children is an issue, and i think a dedicated childrens area that is has some kind of sound buffer, or indeed an entirely seperate childrens library would offer the best solution. whether it is actually doable budget/infrastructure wise is another story.