Reply To: Week Five Activity: Reading and Literacy – *Trend Reflection*

Home Forums Student forums Will Week Five Activity: Reading and Literacy – *Trend Reflection* Reply To: Week Five Activity: Reading and Literacy – *Trend Reflection*

Will Wood
Participant

Hey Chris,

Cheers for your comment.

I’m in a bit of a political mindset this week as I am doing an issues based reflection on research support which had me thinking about how much power current political opinion has over things such as which grant application should receive funding and which should be dismissed – a state of affairs I find to be fairly unethical or at least unbalanced or biased. So when I read your comment and thought about our reliance on technology I couldn’t help but consider it through this political lens – where politics will influence robotic development for the advancement of particular groups in society rather than all people. It made me think of a post I saw on Reddit a few days ago about a comment that Stephen Hawking made where he said that we need to be more afraid of capitalism than robots. As manual labor jobs and low skilled enterprise are replaced by robotic systems the profits from this will be distributed to those who are already in positions of power. I found an article about it here if you are interested in having a read.