Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Home Forums Student forums Luke Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG Reply To: Week 11 Journal submission – Program Review "The Photograph and Australia" @ QAG

Shannon Franzway
Participant

To charge or not to charge?  Fantastic question!  In simple terms, I think the fee charging decision can be considered against the mission and/or vision of the GLAM – i.e. what is it they need to deliver for their patrons – but this cannot be done in isolation.  Budget is going to have significant influence – i.e. how much does it cost to deliver what it is that patrons would like to see?  How much of the cost can be covered by the GLAM? If a fee needs to be charged, should it be charged at cost recovery or higher to raise a profit, which can then be reinvested for future exhibitions?  I think if the GLAM asks these cost/budget questions against the mission/vision, it provides some clarity around decision making.  It does require the GLAM being very clear and sure of their target audience’s needs and wants though – surveys and feedback need to be part of the daily culture to remain relevant.