Reply To: Week Seven Activity: Information and Digital Literacy – *Twitter Chat Champion*

Home Forums Student forums Will Week Seven Activity: Information and Digital Literacy – *Twitter Chat Champion* Reply To: Week Seven Activity: Information and Digital Literacy – *Twitter Chat Champion*

Stacey Larner

I guess literacy is a word that has a specific primary meaning, so putting the label at the front helps people to flag that we’re not just talking the ability to read and write. In fact now I want to go on a big tangent exploring why it is the word literacy was co-opted to mean fluency in different areas… why not information and digital fluency? But I digress. I think I like what Leena says about lifelong learning, because I actually think that’s easier to grasp than “information literacy” as a concept. But (more buts!) again having the label helps to contextualise what specific life area we are talking about. So… in answer to your question, I suppose I err on the side of letting sleeping labels lie, while pushing for the recognition that lifelong learning encompasses all the above ;).