Reply To: Week 7-Argue a Point of View- The NBN will close the digital divide in Australia

Home Forums Student forums Steve W Week 7-Argue a Point of View- The NBN will close the digital divide in Australia Reply To: Week 7-Argue a Point of View- The NBN will close the digital divide in Australia

Nicole Steer
Participant

Ugh, I hate MyGov as well! It’s appalling to me that this is all being forced online when the people who are more likely to depend on Centrelink – people with disabilities, low-income families and individuals, remote/rural Australians – are the ones who are most likely to not have access to reliable internet in the first place. Even if the NBN does go ahead as is planned – which I doubt, even for a heavily neutered version of what it was going to be in the first place – it won’t reach the people who need it most.

This whole move to online-only government services seems to be like saying “We’re building a well and we expect it to be finished in three years – so we won’t have to worry about where we’ll get our drinking water from until then.”