Reply To: Week 5: Reading and Literacy (Argue a point of view)

Home Forums Student forums Patti Week 5: Reading and Literacy (Argue a point of view) Reply To: Week 5: Reading and Literacy (Argue a point of view)

Ruth McConchie
Participant

Thanks Patricia, I really enjoyed your post. I know you work in an academic library, so this is probably a topic that you have considered many times. I’m just going to play the devil’s advocate (because secretly I agree with you 100%) and argue that academic libraries do provide enough support for their students leisure reading. Many libraries share leisure reading resources through Bonus. Also many academic libraries are very close to public libraries, the University of Queensland is close to Towoong and Indooroopilly Libraries. Queensland University of Technology is located near the Brisbane Central library, Griffith University is near the West End Library. It is hard to justify a leisure reading collection when academic universities run out of money to support the purchase of related material, especially when there are public libraries in such close proximity.