Reply To: Program Review: Aboriginal Language Awareness Talk at the Fitzroy Library

Home Forums Student forums Ruth Program Review: Aboriginal Language Awareness Talk at the Fitzroy Library Reply To: Program Review: Aboriginal Language Awareness Talk at the Fitzroy Library

This is a wondeful post Ruth, very thoughtful and filled with insight into a subject that seems to receive little attention, at least here in Queensland. Supporting and celebrating indigenous culture can only enrich all Australians but using digital literacy to support and promote oral/spoken languages is such an interesting idea. What a great way to bring 21st century technology together with ancient cultures – language is so central to identity, so bringing back languages that were all but dead is an inspiring story. I spent the last 20 years living in Vanuatu where there were 112 separate languages in a population of only 300,000 people – almost all of them are still largely only oral/spoken. There is a a small but dedicated group of people at the University of the South Paific Languages unit in Port Vila who are working to save these languages from extinction. With your permission I would like to send them your reflection, with its links, as I’m sure it would be of interest. Would this be OK?