Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Home Forums Student forums Chris B Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Deborah Fuller
Participant

A very interesting and informative reflection Chris. After doing the reading for last week and participating in the Twitter chat I feel drawn to the Readers’ Advisory role of the librarian. It was something I wasn’t actively aware of until this point. I agree that reading popular fiction is better thanĀ  not reading anything, particularly as it is my choice of reading. Like many people I read as a leisure activity and most of the time don’t want anything to heavy and I love the fact that public libraries offer plenty of choice in this area. Reading for leisure can increase vocabulary and spark interest in the reality on which the book was based thus encouraging the reader to examine the subject further if they desire. I believe as libraryans we should be encouraging reading at any level.