Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Home Forums Student forums Chris B Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction Reply To: Week 5 – Trends Reflection – Readers' Advisory – the trend towards fiction

Shannon Franzway
Participant

I wasn’t aware until this weeks’ topic that reader’s advisory as a service was available to the extent that it is offered in many libraries.

I agree, the shift toward popular fiction isn’t a bad thing and reading something is better than not reading at all.  However, it could also be something that is dictated a little by the major demographics attracted to a library.  Fiction was all I wanted to read through teen years and my twenties but I’ve found that as I have gotten older, I am much more interested in non-fiction titles and I’m sure this could be true for others as well.  In my earlier years though, I would have been against being “encouraged” toward non-fiction because it was all about escapism for me at the time.  So a gentle push toward non-fiction isn’t necessarily bad but perhaps it’s a shift that many patrons will make on their own anyway?